Close to an upset


Dinnington 3

Pocklington 15

DINNINGTON came close to causing an upset as they put in a spirited display against league leaders Pocklington.

They could consider themselves unlucky not to have gained a losing bonus point but fortunately the team they are trying to catch, North Ribblesdale, also drew a blank.

Luck seemed to be on Dinnington’s side as traffic problems delayed Pocklington’s arrival and the visitors had little time to get themselves ready for the game.

However, Pocklington, who came into the match on the back of a 14-game winning streak, showed why they head the division as they put Dinnington under pressure from the start.

Dinnington put in some stout defence and did well to keep the visitors out, but just before the mid point of the half their first missed tackle was punished as Pocklington scored under the posts to go 7-0 ahead.

The hosts were stung into action and came straight back forcing errors in the visitors’ defence, but they were guilty of giving up possession too easily when it mattered.

Pocklington extended their lead after 25 minutes with a penalty which led to a warning from the referee to both sides about the high penalty count.

Ten minutes before half time Pocklington went further ahead with a lovely flowing move from their own 10-metre line, scoring an unconverted try in the corner.

Turning round only 15-0 behind, Dinnington knew they were still in with a chance and they started the second half piling on the pressure.

With five minutes played Pocklington had a player sin-binned for a high tackle further lifting the home spirits but the visitors played a canny game.

They quite happily conceded penalties but made sure they were far enough out to make kicks at goal difficult.

Fifteen minutes into the half they conceded one close enough to the posts for Chris Williams to get Dinnington onto the scoreboard.

This sparked a rally by the visitors and two minutes later Dinnington had a player binned for persistent infringements as they came under pressure.

Play then moved back and forth with Dinnington playing a more expansive game trying to stretch the play and they held a slight edge.

It nearly went wrong with 15 minutes to go when Pocklington broke out of their own 22 but fortunately they knocked on and the danger passed.

The last 10 minutes of the game saw Dinnington really go for it but although they put themselves in some good positions they could not find a way through.

On Saturday Dinnington are at home to Knottingley knowing that if they do not win they will almost certainly be playing in Yorkshire Two next season.