Worksop Town’s 2013 woes continue with seaside defeat at Whitby Town

Goalscorer Ash Burbeary
Goalscorer Ash Burbeary

Worksop Town continued their poor start to 2013 making it four consecutive league defeats following a 2-1 defeat to Whitby Town at the Turnbull Ground.

Two very good strikes from Craig Farrell secured a league double for the Seasiders over the Tigers after Ash Burbeary had given Worksop the lead.

On a very heavy pitch in windy conditions both sides struggled to string passes together, however it was the visitors who made the better start.

Denton had an excellent early chance when he pounced on Ajan Purewal’s under hit back pass, but with only the keeper to beat he took too long to get his shot away allowing Purewal time to get back and put the ball out for a corner.

After 14 minutes, the Tigers took the lead when Worksop were awarded a penalty after Burbeary was bungled over by Ibby Hassan as he controlled Matt Young’s cross.

Burbeary got up to take the penalty, sending Nick Liversedge in the home goal the wrong way.

As Worksop continued to press, Burbeary headed the ball back to Young whose 25-yard effort was easily saved by Liversedge.

However, on 21 minutes the home side was back on level terms as Graeme Armstrong’s through ball set up Farrell whose powerful shot from the right hand edge of the penalty area beat Paul Bastock.

Worksop almost immediately regained the lead as Burbeary’s shot from the left beat Liversedge but Alex White just got back in time to clear the ball off the line for a corner; which was easily cleared.

As the half went on Whitby grew in confidence with Tom Portas starting to become more influential.

And it was Portas who nearly set up Armstrong as he beat Adie Hawes on the left before crossing for Armstrong, only for Lee Ridley to make an excellent interception getting in front of Armstrong when he seemed destined to have a free header inside the six-yard box.

On 34 minutes the Seasiders took the lead when Portas set up Farrell, who cut in from the right going past Hawes before curling an unstoppable shot into the far corner.

Whitby continued to press with Portas cutting the ball back to the edge of the penalty area where Dave McTiernan shot straight at Bastock.

Whitby started the second half brightly and just before the hour mark Farrell should have completed his hat-trick as Armstrong’s cross to the far post found him unmarked 6 yards out but his shot was blocked by Bastock.

From the resulting corner, Kern Miller misdirected his header towards the top corner; Bastock having to be alert to push it away onto the bar and away for a corner.

On 64 minutes Clark made a double substitution bringing on Leon Mettam and Lee Potts for Matt Young and Ryan Clarke, respectively.

Worksop started to exert some pressure with Matt Telling’s through ball finding Mettam on the left who went round Liversedge only for his shot from an acute angle being diverted for a corner.

The Tigers continued to press but without creating any clear cut chances and it was the home side that created the next chance when Armstrong’s cross fell to McTiernan after a good dummy by Mulligan, but McTiernan shot straight at Bastock.

As the game entered the final 10 minutes Potts had a shot blocked after being set up by good work by Burbeary. Then the Tigers had their final chance of the game as Denton headed over Burbeary’s free kick.

With the game going into added time, the home side had a glorious chance to make it 3-1 when substitute Steven Snaith shot wide after being set up by McTiernan’s

through ball.

Whitby Town

Nick Liversedge, Ibby Hassan, Mark Robinson (c), Alex White, Arjan Purewal, Dave

McTiernan, Tom Portas, Shane Henry, Craig Farrell, Graeme Armstrong (Steven

Snaith), Nathan Mulligan (Kevin Burgess 82)

Unused subs: Craig James, Darren Williams, David Campbell

Goals Craig Farrell (21, 34)

Worksop Town

Paul Bastock 6, Stuart Ludlam (c) 6, Lee Ridley 6, Matt Young 6 (Leon Mettam 64,

6), Kern Miller 6, Adie Hawes 5, Ryan Clarke 6 (Lee Potts 64, 5) Steve Towers 6

Tom Denton 5, Matt Telling 7, ASH BURBEARY 7

Unused subs: Ash Jackson, Nathan Modest, Sam Jepson

Goal: Ash Burbeary (pen, 14)

Bookings: Matt Telling (29), Stuart Ludlam (64), Steve Towers (86)

Att. 249

MoM Ash Burbeary

Referee: Dave Richardson

Assistants: Peter Hartley, Matthew Cottingham