Tigers close out the season with a win

Worksop Town v Buxton, celebrating Tom Denton's goal (w130504-5d)
Worksop Town v Buxton, celebrating Tom Denton's goal (w130504-5d)

The curtain came down on the 2012/13 season after one final win for Worksop Town.

An improved second half performance saw them ease to a 2-0 win over Buxton, and former boss Martin McIntosh.

Some lethargy in the home side gave Buxton the chance to attack early on, Cecil Nyoni giving away possession, Jamie Green chipping Paul Bastock, but it drifted wide.

Worksop’s first foray upfield came when Steve Towers found Ryan Clarke, and his cross was headed tamely at Ian Deakin by Tom Denton.

Towers then sent a ball out to the right that invited Craig King to have a run, the winger beating one man and sending a left-footed drive just over.

Both sides were struggling to put anything of any quality together on a hard, bouncy surface.

Buxton had the better possession and territory, and were almost gifted an opener when Kern Miller’s weak back pass was chased down by Lee Morris, and Bastock made a vital clearance.

There was another let off when Matt Thornhill’s flick landed between the back four and Bastock, but Mark Reed stole could only volley over.

Nathan Modest lasted just 37 minutes, and his replacement Lee Potts lined up a free-kick 25 yards from goal, only finding the roof of the net.

Tigers should have taken the lead three minutes after the break when Towers’ inswinging corner found King at the back post and he shot wide.

Sixty seconds later it was 1-0, Nyoni freeing Young down the left and after the midfielder battled to keep possession, he crossed to the middle where Denton headed home.

With Worksop looking much better after the interval, Potts went on a lively run and saw a shot deflected just wide.

Ash Palmer’s free header from a corner looked capable of levelling the scores, but Bastock was there to make the save.

Clarke bombed forward, linking with King and steering the ball towards Denton, a Buxton defender almost putting it through his own net.

From the resulting Towers corner, King’s shot was blocked on the line and Kern Miller tucked the ball under the keeper for a 2-0 lead.

Morris flashed a header over the Worksop bar from a Grant Black cross, Buxton reminding the hosts they were not going to lie down for the final 20 minutes of the season.

Black sent in another dangerous centre and this time it was Reed off target with his header.

But Tigers held on for a clean sheet, and a victorious end to the campaign.