Retford United beaten by Handsworth Parramore as former manager Peter Duffield leaves with the points

Retford suffered a 3-1 defeat at the hands of their former manager Peter Duffield as he made his first visit to the Jones & Co Stadium since leaving the Badgers four years ago.

However Retford deserved more from the game against Handsworth Parramore after a bright first half performance that saw them strike both the post and crossbar.

Jimmy Walker in action for Retford United.Pic by ''Jon Knight

Jimmy Walker in action for Retford United.Pic by ''Jon Knight

Josh Batty was the first player to have a chance with his shot running off target.

Craig Morley then rose for the header at the far post and, with the Parramore keeper at full stretch, somehow the head of a defender managed to take the ball away from Morley and out for another corner to Retford.

In three successive corners for the home side, it was Dave Buck who came closest with a header just past the post.

Retford were having a good period of pressure, but were lacking the final ball as they looked to gain the advantage.

A corner earned by Batty was played short to Jason Swannack, his ball in found Hutchinson whose effort struck the post as he fired his shot on the turn.

Moments later, another missed chance for Retford fell to Hutchinson as his header from a corner crashed against the bar.

This would come back to haunt the side as Parramore continued to push themselves forward and they missed a golden opportunity when Danny Buttle fired well over with the goal gapping.

But, on the stroke of half time, it was ex-Retford man Whittington who found the target as he flicked a header over Fuller to give the visitors the lead.

Retford had the first good opportunity of the second half when Craig Morley headed over from another corner kick.

On 56 minutes, Retford were 2-0 down as Smith made amends for his earlier miss to head past Fuller as he failed to command his box.

As Retford’s corner count increased, Morley again connected with his head almost finding Hutchinson at the far post, but the ball went out of play.

The decisive goal came on 62 minutes when Whittington got his second of the afternoon following a flowing move to all but seal three points for the visitors.

a good strike after a good forward move by the visitors to effectively seal the points for his side.

With ten minutes left, Retford pulled a goal back, after a free-kick by Outram left the keeper rooted to the spot as the ball as the ball nestled into the bottom corner of the net.

In the closing minutes Fuller made a good save from close range as Callum Ward tried to increase the lead, but it was all over and it was the visiting side that returned with the points leaving Retford in 18th position in the league.

Next up for Retford is a home clash against Selston FC on Tuesday evening in the Notts Senior Cup, followed by a short trip to Maltby Main next Saturday afternoon.