Narrow win for Tigers in the Bassetlaw derby

Worksop Town picked up a slim victory in the Bassetlaw derby on Saturday, at Retford United’s Jones and Co Stadium.

The Badgers welcomed back former manager Mark Shaw, now in charge of Tigers, who were 1-0 victors in their third friendly of the summer.

The game was played in difficult conditions with the sun beating down all afternoon.

Early chances fell to Retford, Reece Thompson causing problems up front and winning a corner that resulted in a blocked Rob Sanderson thunderbolt.

Thompson got past Worksop centre-half Josh Hill but his delivery was overhit, Steve Owens putting in another cross from the opposite side that Ben Hallam in the Worksop goal had to touch over his bar.

Thompson again used his pace to get past Matt Steade but the ball was nicked from his foot by Kern Miller.

Worksop went close with a header, forcing United keeper Jack Wheat to jump at full stretch, but the ball was going inches wide of the upright.

Miller and Hill played the ball across the back line and almost allowed Lee Holmes to get a foot to the ball, but the Worksop defenders cleared, saving them any embarrassment.

Ellis Wall did well to break through midfield and feed Tom Mullen, whose effort was saved low by Retford keeper JackWheat.

Another chance for Tigers fell for Shaq MacKenzie who couldn’t quite meet the cross from Phil Roe.

Jordan Hatton played the ball through to Thompson who had a good chance in front of goal but as he tried to control, he was flagged offside.

The heat of the first half started to show on the players as the game slowed down beforethe half time break.

But Worksop had two good chances, the first falling to James Cottingham who connected with the ball only to send it just wide, then Retford had Wheat to thank for keeping the score level as a full stretch save denied Worksop with Barnett unable to get his follow up effort past Fisher.

The second half saw wholesale changes for Worksop, but Retford were on the attack immediately as Fisher fired over the bar after a good run down the left flank by Graeme Severn.

Hill’s shot on the turn was then saved by Retford’s replacement keeper Zack Levers, but Worksop started to put more pressure on their hosts with the fresh legs working in their favour, Connor Higginson getting through only for Severn to hook clear.

Holmes tried to spark Retford into life, his good work on the right led to a cross that was too much for Jack Johnson and out of play.

Retford won a free-kick, but were soon tracking back as Worksop made a quick break from the clearance, the ball fired across the Retford goal with Levers beaten but no Worksop player was close to get a touch.

Leon Mettam had an effort deflected then he somehow won a header from a corner in front of goal but put the ball over the bar.

Eventually on 75 minutes, the deadlock was broken, Roe’s shot was parried by Levers and with Retford unable to react, Mitch Husbands was on hand to fire the ball into the goal to give his side the lead.

A chance for Shane Clarke went wide and Shay Beaglehole’s effort for Retford crashed against a defender.

The game ended in victory for Worksop Town, but would prove to be another good workout for both teams with the new season on the horizon.