Retford United 3 - 2 Nantwich Town'Evo-Stik League Premier Division'Tuesday 8th March 2011''Jordan Turner in action for Retford United.
Retford United 3 - 2 Nantwich Town'Evo-Stik League Premier Division'Tuesday 8th March 2011''Jordan Turner in action for Retford United.

RETFORD United achieved their first home win of the season against Nantwich on Tuesday.

Badgers’ 3-2 victory consigned the visitors to their sixth straight defeat.

The scoring started with Nicky Ellis in only the fifth minute, when he met a free-kick in the air and the ball sailed into the back of the net.

Niall O’Brien sent in his trademark long throw for Joe Boggild, who flicked onto Steve Brammer but he could only hit his shot into the ground and Ben Chapman, the Nantwich keeper was able to collect the ball.

Nantwich then tried to pull themselves level, Jordan Connerton’s shot was tame, then Mick Lennon’s effort was pushed away for a corner by United stopper Luke Herriott.

The home lead was doubled on 23 minutes, a superb effort by Boggild to extend the advantage.

He saw the keeper off his line and flicked in a great ball over him from the edge of the box to put Retford firmly in the driving seat.

United were putting their visitors to the test, Jordan Turner was almost through after picking up a pass from O’Brien, and Brammer was unlucky when he met O’Brien’s cross, only for his shot to be blocked by the keeper.

A third goal came on the stroke of half-time, a corner sent into the box by Brammer found O’Brien who rose to power a header past Chapman and give the hosts a commanding lead.

Nantwich came out for the second half with more purpose.

Connerton’s strike had Herriott in trouble and luckily for the Retford keeper the ball rolled wide of the post.

Ashley Carter’s low drive was easily saved by Herriott, but on 73 minutes, Nantwich found the net with an effort from Lennon, slotted low into the bottom corner.

The visitors were buoyed by the goal and a speculative effort was not dealt with by Herriott, with a corner being conceded which luckily came to nothing.

With the home fans willing on the final whistle, Nantwich had the final say to set up a tense finish, Connerton pulling another goal back in the 89th minute, but Retford did enough to hold on for their first victory at Cannon Park in all competitions this season.

The Badgers travel to Mickleover Sports on Saturday for a re-arranged fixture, then return to Cannon Park on Thursday for the ‘away’ fixture against Bassetlaw rivals and tenants Worksop Town.


Marine 2

Retford United 0

BADGERS were beaten away from home on Saturday, by a Marine side containing former Retford favourite Neil Harvey.

Retford had Niall O’Brien missing, Matt Caudwell returned to the side and Ian Robinson stepped back into his more familiar midfield role.

Marine took the lead thanks to a good goal by Stephen Johnson in the 40th minute.

The second goal came on 72 minutes, when the unfortunate Rob Austin turned the ball into his own net as a cross was whipped in from the Marine right.