Four defeats in five as struggling Worksop Town crash out of Doodson Cup

Worksop Town v Hednesford Town.  Pictured is Ash Burbeary
Worksop Town v Hednesford Town. Pictured is Ash Burbeary

Worksop Town continued their poor start to 2013 losing 2-1 to Evo-Stik Division 1 North side Farsley FC in the fourth round of the Doodson Cup, making it four defeats out of five games since the start of the year, writes Paul Stacey.

Goals either side of half time from Brice Tiani and Adam Priestley, before Ash Burbeary pulled a goal back for the Tigers, took the Villagers through to the next round at a wet, windswept Throstle Nest.

The Tigers had an early chance to take the lead following a mad scramble in the Farsley penalty area as Burbeary, twice, and Tom Denton had shots blocked before the ball was cleared away to safety.

At the other end, Priestley’s flick on found Gareth Grant, who got the better of Kern Miller, before having his shot comfortably saved by Paul Bastock.

On the half-hour mark the home side should have taken the lead when Steve Mallory’s free kick to the far post found former Tiger, Simeon Bambrook unmarked six yards out but he could only divert his header wide of the post.

As Farsley continued to press Tiani set up Ryan Harrison whose shot was turned away for a corner by Bastock with the resulting corner hitting the top of the crossbar.

On 40 minutes Farsley deservedly took the lead when Tiani drilled an excellent shot into the bottom corner from 25 yards out giving Bastock no chance.

Clark made a change early in the second half bringing on Jamie Jackson in place of Nathan Modest. As the Tigers went in search of an equaliser Ryan Clarke’s excellent cross field pass found Lee Potts who ghosted past his marker before shooting just over. Then Jackson cut inside forcing a good save from Ben Higginson.

However, it was the home side that extended their lead on 66 minutes when Grant’s cross into the six yard box was not dealt with by Bastock and Miller allowing Priestley to nip in and score into the empty net.

Farsley nearly made it 3-0 as firstly Grant could not get his shot away when well placed, and then Harrison shot straight at Bastock.

On 70 minutes the Tigers reduced the arrears as Telling’s excellent through ball found Burbeary who clipped the ball over the on rushing Higginson.

Worksop continued to press for an equaliser, Jackson having a shot deflected over for a corner after being set up by Burbeary.

Burbeary was next to go close for the visitors as his 25 yard free kick was comfortably saved by Higginson.

At the other end Grant got the better of Miller before his cross was headed out for a corner, from which Priestley put a header wide.

As Farsley continued to press, Grant once again beat Miller before Bastock came out to smother his shot. Worksop had one final chance to grab an equaliser when Burbeary put an effort just over the bar from the edge of the penalty area.

As the game reached 90 minutes, substitute Dave Stead should have made it 3-1 when he was put through by Grant, but his weak effort was easily saved by Bastock.