Final week of the season could not have been better scripted

The last week of the Gainsborough and District Sunday Football League season could not have been any better if it had been planned.

Two cup finals in midweek and two championship deciding games on the final Sunday brought to an end a season that has been the most competitive for many years.

The first final on Tuesday night saw Hallcroft FC take on Notts Diagonals and in a game where many chances were created, a mixture of good goalkeeping and bad finishing left the game tied at 0-0 after extra-time.

The penalty shootout was just as dramatic with again good goalkeeping and poor penalty taking resulting in a win for Hallcroft FC by two penalties to one.

The hero was undoubtedly the Hallcroft keeper Matt Doyle who saved four penalties to give his side the trophy.

The final of the Sporting Club Cup on Friday night saw MUSC take on White Horse who, having already won the Trinity Trophy, were looking to win their second piece of silverware of the season.

In a very competitive game where both teams made strong challenges and both never took a step back it was White Horse who won 3-1.

The title deciders in both Divisions One and Three could not have been better scripted with all to play for in both divisions.

White Horse travelled to play Mattersey FC who have quietly crept into contention with a long unbeaten run culminating in a 1-0 victory against White Horse a few weeks ago to set up Sunday’s game as a title decider.

A draw was good enough for White Horse but Mattersey knew nothing less than a victory would be good enough for them to be crowned champions.

Mattersey F C were clearly up for the game and good finishing and some ill-discipline from White Horse saw Mattersey FC take the title after a 4-1 victory.

Having lost in the final of the Nottinghamshire County Cup this was a superb day for the Mattersey team, taking the title for the first time after coming close several times in recent years.

In Division Three there was another winner takes all game between Smiffys United and Horse and Jockey.

Both were very much in form teams with long unbeaten runs behind them.

Having beaten Horse and Jockey in the semi-final of the Junior Trophy earlier in the season and having not lost a game in 2015, Smiffys United must have been full of confidence.

However it was Horse and Jockey who lifted their game to run out 5-2 winners and take the title by two points, but not from Smiffys United, from Kings Arms Reserves who finished as runners-up after winning on the last day of the season.

We all now look forward to the summer break but planning for next season starts for the management committee almost immediately.

And while the club officials can enjoy the break from the week-to-week running of their clubs they also must begin to consider the 2015/2016 season.