Dinnington Town hoping to recover from 7-1 defeat

Dinnington Town manager Steve Toyne   (w121201-6k)
Dinnington Town manager Steve Toyne (w121201-6k)

DINNINGTON Town missed out on the opportunity to put a 7-1 thrashing behind them after their clash with Knaresborough Town was called off for a fourth time.

Town were hammered by table-toppers Athersley Recreation on Saturday, a result which leaves them in 16th place in the Baris Northern Counties East League Division One.

There should have been an early opportunity to make amends, but Tuesday’s game was postponed with the Phoenix Park pitch covered in snow.

They will now hope to get back on track at home to Bottesford Town at 3pm.

Last Saturday’s game saw another goalkeeping change as Stuart Guy returned to the side as a late replacement.

Town also welcomed back Mark West to partner Jamie Roper up front, with new signing Charlesworth joining stalwarts Sykes and Cartledge on the bench alongside Hoyland.

With the game only two minutes old, Town took the lead. A great cross-field ball from Fairweather found West who crossed the ball perfectly for Smith to power home his header.

Athersley soon woke up and began closing Town down much quicker, the game was played at a frantic pace with tackles and challenges becoming stronger and going unpunished.

Chances for both sides came and went in a game where neither side wanted to back down.

On 32 minutes, Athersley equalised, a defensive error from Bytheway resulting in his recovering tackle giving away a penalty.

Bentley, who was to feature heavily in the game, stepped up to equalise. Minutes later a kick out from Guy went straight to Bennett who shot low to give the home side a half time lead.

Town having lost the lead in a five-minute spell towards the end of the first half had no idea what was in store in the next 45 minutes.

The game continued at pace, and on 53 minutes Bentley struck again, this time a thundering free kick giving Guy no chance.

From the re-start Athersley struck again as Town’s defence came under more pressure, it was now 4-1 and there was no way back.

On the hour mark, Athersley made it five, who else but Bentley causing havoc to Town’s back four as they failed to close him down.

Town did have chances as Charlesworth and Cartledge made an impact after coming off the bench. But Guy made a further two very good saves as Athersley seemed intent on increasing Town’s misery.

And Bentley was in no mood to let up as he scored his fourth from a tap in to make it 6-1. Charlesworth came close with a thundering free kick which rattled the cross bar.

However, shortly afterwards the game saw its final goal, rounding out the afternoon with a 7-1 defeat for Town.

On this performance, it’s not hard to see why Athersley are league leaders. With constant pressure, not allowing their opponents time on the ball and a striker like Bentley, any team that faces them in this form are going to have a fight on their hands.

Man of the Match: Mark West. Gave 100 per cent, his vision and overall play today was outstanding, he looked a constant threat.

Dinnington Town: Guy, Fairweather, Taylor, Bytheway, Lepianka, Wade, Smith, Langley, Trench, West, Roper. Subs: Sykes, Cartledge, Charlesworth, Hoyland.