Blues Club hit Lincoln Moorland Railway Reserves for six in Lincoln Saturday League action

editorial image

Goals were in abundance this week in the Lincoln Saturday Football League last weekend, with 32 scored in five games.

And six of those came in The Blues Club’s home fixture against second to bottom Lincoln Moorland Railway.

The 6-0 victory kept The Blues Club just a point behind second placed Birchwood United, and four points behind leaders RM Imp, who were without a game onS aturday.

It was the homes side’s 10th home game without defeat and ninth win in their last 10 games.

On target for them was Geno Robinson with a hat-trick, his first goals of the season, Kyle Crawford grabbed a brace and top scorer Lee Bognar scored his 27th goal of the season.

Birchwood United visited Cherry Willlingham in their last home game.

The title contenders were aiming for another league double and in an almost perfect performance they were six up at the break, through a Tom Butcher hat-trick and one each from Danny Hicks, Danny Kent and Liam Wright.

The second half started the same as the first with Craig Dungate scoring with a spectacular overhead kick for 7-0.

Matty Waite then came off the bench to add an eighth and Ricky Greensmith completed the rout with a ninth.

Brendan Foster-Matthieson netted a consolation goal for Cherry with his 21st goal of the season.

Just below the top three the battle for fourth place saw Fulbeck United close the gap on Horncastle Town Reserves in a nine goal thriller.

Fulbeck eventually edged the game 5-4 with their sixth successive victory while Horncastle lost their third in a row, their worst run of the season.

Scoring for Fulbeck were Will Allen (2), Ben Pollard, Jim Barnett and Nick Hamilton.

Horncastle’s goals were scored by Luke Blondel(2), Andy Bullivant and Ryan Beaumont.

Fulbeck are now seven points behind fourth placed Horncastle with four games in hand.

In the second semi-final in the Horace Franklin Cup newcomers AFC Crown and Arrows took on Retford Town with the winners scheduled to meet Lincoln Moorland Railway Reserves in the final on 9th April.

The home side was without a win in three games but went into the match as favourites as they had beaten their visitors on two previous occasions already, once in the league and the other in a cup tie.

With a first hat-trick of the season from J. Waplington and another goal from Dale Wilkes the city side made it into their first final with a 4-1 win.

Alex Smith scored for Retford.

The Blues Club return to league action next Tuesday night, when they are at home to Saxilby Athletic, the side who sit in eighth place in the Lincoln Saturday Football League.