Worksop: Woman told friend she was going to ‘stab a cop’ before leaving house clutching three kitchen knives, court hears

In Court
In Court

A Worksop woman told a friend she was going to ‘stab a cop’ before grabbing three kitchen knives and heading out into town, a court heard last week.

Megan Ayscough, 21, of Potter Street, admitted to possessing the knives in a public place when she appeared at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court on Thursday 12th March.

Outlining the case for prosecution, solicitor James Whyley told the court how Ayscough had recently been made homeless and had taken her belongings, including a set of kitchen knives, to a friend’s house.

On Monday 23rd February, Ayscough said she felt ‘messed up in the head’ and it was understood she told her friend she was going to ‘stab a cop’ before she grabbed the knives and left.

She was later arrested after police found her walking around the recreational field next to Kilton golf course in the dark. A member of the public had alerted them when they saw Asycough walking down Blyth Road clutching one of the knives at around 9.30pm.

In mitigation Ayscough’s defence solicitor David Verity said that she was ‘a very troubled young lady with a bad background.’

“Megan has shown a real determination to make progress and enrolled in a college course which she was doing well in, producing lots of certificates for her achievements,” said Mr Verity.

“However, she was then taken into custody after breaching a suspended sentence, and things have gone downhill for her since then. All this has led to her becoming homeless.”

“Megan suffers from mental health problems, which have worsened as a result of her homelessness. She says that on the night of the incidents she was really messed up, and didn’t really know what she was doing. She decided to go for a walk to clear her head.”

Mr Verity added that Asycough said she had ‘absolutely no intention’ of harming anyone with the knives.

“When Megan was found by police she co-operated fully while they removed the three knives that were found in her coat and trouser pockets.”

“She couldn’t say why she had decided to take the knives with her, but made it clear that she would never have intentionally hurt anybody with them.”

Magistrates handed Asycough an 18 week prison sentence suspended for 12 months and told her she must pay a victim surcharge of £80.

She was also ordered to complete a rehabilitaton activity requirement.