Meter tamper blaze warning

Guardian News
Guardian News

Firefighters have issued a safety warning over fears the illegal tampering of electricity meters could be causing house fires.

Information suggests pre-paid or card-operated electricity meters are being adapted in a bid to obtain free electricity.

But firefighters are warning that not only is tampering illegal, it also extremely dangerous and dramatically increases the chances of suffering a potentially devastating house fire.

Firefighter Jon Parkes said: “We know from some incidents across the country and information from our partner agencies here in South Yorkshire that this is happening more and more frequently.”

“We need people to realise how dangerous this is. The meters overheat, melting the plastic casing and causing a fire. It isn’t worth putting your family’s lives in danger to reduce utility bills.”