Man damaged hospital room

Rotherham Magistrates Court, Main Street, Rotherham.
Rotherham Magistrates Court, Main Street, Rotherham.

A patient at a Swallownest mental health unit damaged his room after a row with another patient a court heard.

Lee Fisher, 36, of Hooton Road in Kilnhurst, was a voluntary patient at the Swallownest Court facility in March this year.

Mark Hughes, prosecuting, told Rotherham Magistrates Court that at about 9.15pm on 26th March staff at Swallownest Court heard shouting.

“Staff found the defendant in another patients room,” he said.

“That other patient was being removed by staff and the defendant was shouting and swearing.”

The court heard Fisher began to calm down after being spoken to by a member of staff.

“He sat down on the bed but began to get angry again,” continued Mr Hughes.

“He had been given a cup of coffee and he threw that at the wall. The nurse who had been with him left the room as she was concerned for her own safety.”

“It was at this point that he began smashing up his room,” he added.

The court heard that it would cost an estimated £200 to repair the damage caused.

The police were called at about 11pm and Fisher was arrested.

“In interview he said that he had exchanged words with another patient which had caused some upset,” said Mr Hughes.

“He said his medication was all over the place and he had hit rock bottom, so he decided to leave the grounds, which he is allowed to do as a voluntary patient.”

“He went to a local pub and had five or six pints before returned to take his medication. But staff refused to give it to him because he had been drinking.”

Jill Page, defending, told the court that Fisher had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia around ten years ago.

But she said changes in his medication and changes in his diagnosis had left him unsettled.

Fisher admitted the charge of criminal damage at Rotherham Magistrates Court on Monday.

He was fined £73 and ordered to pay £200 compensation to Swallownest Court to cover the cost of the damage caused.

He was also ordered to pay £85 court costs and £20 victim surcharge.