Notts residents using electronic cigarettes are being warned about the potential dangers of using chargers that are not supplied with their device at the time of purchase.
The warning follows an increase in complaints to Notts County Council’s Trading Standards team about fires or overheating problems caused by batteries and chargers for electronic cigarettes.
It is believed that fires can be caused when a different charger is used with the product which has a different voltage and current to those designed for it.
Users are also being advised not to use a charger which does not easily plug into an electrical socket as there is a risk of being electrocuted, overheating or damage to the socket and charger.
Officers are visiting and advising sellers on product safety and labelling advice.
Coun Glynn Gilfoyle, chairman of Notts County Council’s community safety committee, said: “Mixing and matching different chargers with electronic cigarettes can result in damage to your home or cause serious injury.”
“We are advising users to check the instructions thoroughly if they need to get a new charger for their electronic cigarette to assess whether it is suitable for their product.”
Contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 08454 04 05 06 with complaints about e-cigarette chargers.