All Blacks power through to semis

Gainsborough v Medan Vale in the Lincs, Notts and Derby Vase G111119-9a
Gainsborough v Medan Vale in the Lincs, Notts and Derby Vase G111119-9a


Gainsborough 52,

Meden Vale 14

GAINSBOROUGH went through to the semi-finals of the Notts Lincs and Derby Vase Competition following this impressive demolition of Meden Vale who were previously unbeaten this season.

The All Blacks have not looked this efficient since they last played league rugby and because of their current merit table status the league boys did not expect to have any difficulty in dispatching the hosts from the NLD competition.

The All Blacks prepared for a good hour prior to kick-off in order to be ready on a cold November afternoon. The game started much quieter than expected, and the first 15 minutes were about respect that both sides had for each other although Gainsborough spent most of the time in the Vale half of the pitch.

The All Blacks had the first opportunity when awarded a penalty after good play by Ross Duncan and Mark Ellis, and more good play from Shaun Parker and Andy Donner took them constantly into the visitors’ half but the deadlock was not broken until the 25 minute when Sam Hurst scored his first try of the afternoon for a five-point lead.

The game continued with a tremendous tackle from Haymer Bates to keep Gainsborough alive before Hurst picked up a loose ball behind the home 22 and ran the length of the pitch for a try converted by Parker to give a 12-point advantage after 30 minutes.

The All Blacks were now dominating and incisive running by Parkinson put Gainsborough back in their opponents 22. Ronan took advantage, ran hard and touched down and Parker converted to put Gainsborough 19 points in the lead at the interval.

Vale tried to make a game of it in the second half as they expected the hosts to tire, but Hurst showed them that was not the case when he touched down for Parker to convert and the hosts led 26-0.

Shaun Parker then got in on the try scoring.

Andy Donner was organising the backs and leading them into the visitors’ territory and the forwards became involved. Then there was a scrum before Parker scythed through and he converted to put Gainsborough 33-0 ahead.

After 17 minutes of the second half a converted try to Vale made the score 33-7, but this was but a minor blip Sam Hurst immediately replied to score a try to makeg the score 38-7.

With 11 minutes left the hosts put on fresh legs as Russell, Ian Ross and Tony Borth replaced captain Goude, Duncan Ross and Andy Donner. Within a couple of minutes Ronan came off with blood pouring and Donner was back on the field again.

The visitors took advantage to scored their second try, but the fresh legs of the All Blacks wanted to finish this job off and get in on the act and they scored two more tries.

Tony Brown had a superb run feeding Chadwick who scored and a final try by Hurts made his personal tally five.

Many of the side deserved the man of the match award but special mention must be made of Geoff Bates who fought hard and really stuck at the task for 80 minutes and Matthew Spencer who played the last 60 minutes at tight head prop.

Gainsborough left the field on a high, now ready to take on Castle Donnington in the semi-final next Saturday away (kick-off 2pm).

Well done to all involved with the Gainsborough club in what was a tremendous achievement.

The Maoris play Grimsby 3rds away (kick-off 2.15pm), leave Gainsborough 12.45pm.