Hospital Sundays raise funds

Hospital parade in the summer of 1911
Hospital parade in the summer of 1911

THIS week’s Archive Corner photo shows a hospital parade through Worksop in the summer of 1911.

Hospital Sundays, as they were called, were introduced for the purpose of raising money for funding local hospitals.

In 1907 two thirds of the proceeds went to the Victoria Hospital, Worksop, and one third went to the Royal Infirmary in Sheffield.

An article in the Worksop Guardian of that time commented that a day’s collections had raised “the handsome sum of £39 3s 3d”.

Victoria Hospital was named to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Queen Victoria’s accession to the throne.

The original Victoria Cottage Hospital on Watson Road was opened to patients on 24th May 1900.

It was funded by voluntary subscriptions.

New men’s and children’s wards were opened in November 1912, with funding from Sir John Robinson of Worksop Manor.

He carried out the opening ceremony with the Duchess of Portland.

The Memorial Wing was opened in 1925 and had a Memorial Stone in the central pediment commemorating the lives of men who died in the First World War.

It was saved when the hospital was demolished in 1996 and moved to the old library site on Memorial Avenue.