Badgers in mint condition

Have your say

RETFORD United bounced back from last week’s Bassetlaw derby defeat, to dent the play-off hopes of Kendal Town on Saturday.

Badgers clinched a 2-1 win at Cannon Park over their Cumbrian visitors.

It was a strong start for the visiting side, Ciaran Donnelly having an early effort over the bar, then a good strike by Kieran Walmsley forced a fine save by Dave Darwent with the loose ball cleared off the line by Ian Robinson.

United were forced into an early change with John Knapper having to be replaced by the only substitute on the bench, Adam Scott on 12 minutes, but Scott would grow stronger as the game went on and forged a good partnership with Jordan Turner.

Darwent made a brave save at the feet of Danny Wisdom, a challenge that if it had gone wrong could have resulted in a penalty, but he timed his dive well to push the ball away from the advancing player.

The opening quarter of an hour belonged to Kendal, and they almost took the lead only for Shaun Gray to head over from a corner.

Good work from Scott found Michael Blythen, but the ball was overhit and rolled out for a goal kick.

Steve Owens tried to find Blythen, only for his pass to be too close to the keeper.

An almost perfect ball from Blythen to Turner set the striker on the run, but Gray managed to get a touch and cut out the ball

Retford found the net on 29 minutes, Blythen’s ball forward found Turner who took the pass in his stride before hitting his shot on target from the edge of the area to give the home side the lead.

Kendal had a spell with some good build up play leading to Chris Ward heading wide.

Wisdom found himself in a lot of space on the right hand side of the pitch, but Nicky Ellis covered a lot of ground to usher the player wide and protect his goal.

For the second home game in succession, Retford went into the break in front and Kendal were sent out early for the second period, starting well with an early chance, blocked by Darwent but the flag was raised for offside.

Turner was sent through on goal, beating the offside trap, but the Kendal keeper got to the ball before the Retford striker could control.

A scramble in the Retford box saw the net bulge as a Kendal player touched the ball home, but again, it was the flag that was raised to cancel out the effort, then Scott made a break on the right, his cross cut out before it could reach Turner.

On the hour mark, Turner netted his second of the afternoon, Scott sent forward a great ball which Turner again took in his stride before firing past Newnes to increase the lead.

Shaun Gardner almost pulled a goal back for Kendal, but Darwent managed to tip the ball round the post for a corner.

Scott and Turner linked up well again, only for the offside to stop their attack, then Steve Brammer found himself with a lot of space in the centre of midfield, sending in Turner who raced into the box, but was once again frustrated with a late offside call.

Retford were in control and Owens broke forward, keeping hold of the ball well under pressure as he was challenged by Gray in the box, the ball pulled back for Blythen who couldn’t quite find Turner.

Kendal pulled a goal back on 76 minutes, Gray finding the net through a crowded box to put his side back into the game and try and pull something from the afternoon in the final 15 minutes.

Retford kept on pushing, Sam Foulds getting forward, forcing Newnes out of his box to clear, then Kendal pushed everything forward in the final few minutes, laying siege on the Retford goal, with Newnes coming up for a prolonged spell from his own goal to try and get the equaliser.

Retford held on and gained the three points they deserved.

United now have Hucknall Town at Cannon Park on Tuesday evening with admission cut to £5 Adults and £2 Concessions, before a trip to Ashton United on Saturday with an early kick off at 1pm for the England game to be shown on TV.