A WORKSOP doctor caused the deaths of two elderly patients when he prescribed them inappropriate doses of a potent pain relief drug while he was surfing the internet, a court has heard.
GP Rajendra Kokkarne, 37, of Fulmar Way, arranged for frail patients Beryl Barber, 78, and Eric Watson, 86, to receive morphine sulphate after hearing over the phone from a nurse at the care home where they lived.
Robert Smith, QC, prosecuting, claimed at Leeds Crown Court on Wednesday that the drug was inappropriate for their individual circumstances and the dosage was far in excess of what should have been given to an elderly patient and 10 times greater than the normal starting dose.
Both patients, who lived at the Charlton Centre for Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care in Batley, West Yorkshire, died from morphine poisoning.
Kokkarne denies the manslaughter by gross negligence of Mrs Barber on 3rd February, 2008 and of Mr Watson on 4th February.
The trial continues.