Lincs: Don’t let a fire ruin your Christmas

NEWS: The Gainsborough Standard

NEWS: The Gainsborough Standard

0
Have your say

Lincs Fire and Rescue is reminding residents of their top tips on how to stay safe this December.

The festive season is often a busy period for the fire service, with a sharp rise of incidents within the home.

From fairy lights and taffled up tinsel to candles and Christmas decorations, all can become fire hazards when proper care is not taken.

National statistics show that in December, 20 people a day are either killed or injured in accidental fires at home.

In December 2013, there were around 2,700 accidental fires in the home in England, more than any other month of the year.

In Lincolnshire, 45 per cent of incidents during the same period were caused by cooking appliances, with mains electrics and candles making up another 20 per cent.

The top tips for staying safe this Christmas are make sure you and your family have working smoke alarms and Test them regularly.

Make sure that everyone in your home knows what to do in a fire and have an escape plan. In the event of fire you should get out, stay out and call 999.

Check your Christmas tree lights carry the British Safety Standard marque.

If in doubt replace your lights and always replace faulty bulbs.

Make sure your electrical sockets aren’t overloaded with too many high voltage plugs.

Never leave cooking unattended and always turn off kitchen appliances when you have finished cooking.

And take care with candles. Don’t leave candles unattended and keep them away from flammable materials like curtains, and away from pets and children.

For more information on how to stay safe over the festive season, visit www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/lfr.