Fire rips through sports hall

Guardian News

Guardian News

0
Have your say

A COMMUNITY is in shock after flames ripped through the sports hall near the former junior school site in Manton.

Fire crews were called to the building off South Avenue at around 5am this morning (Friday).

Windows have been blown out and there is visible smoke damage to the building, which has been left unused since the school moved to its new premises on Sparken Hill at the end of the last academic year.

Councillors have come forward to state their intentions of re-opening the hall have been delayed until they find out the full extent of the damage.

Bassetlaw councillor for south east Worksop Josie Potts said: “We have big plans for that building and for the community.”

“It has really upset me.”

Crews from Worksop, Retford and Warsop attended the scene aided by support vehicles from Edwinstowe and Mansfield.

South Avenue resident Catherine Hardwick, 49, said she was awoken by fireman in her back garden.

“My house backs on to the field and they came through because it was the easiest access route for them,” the mum-of-two said.

“You can see the windows have gone. It’s a great shame.”

It comes months after a fire ripped through the roof of the community centre on Kingston Road.