Kiveton man stalked his ex

Texting
Texting
0
Have your say

A Kiveton man who bombarded his ex-partner with phone calls, texts, emails and flowers has been given a community order for stalking her.

Simon Cope, 42, of Highthorn Way, admitted one charge of stalking at Rotherham Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

The court heard Cope and his ex-partner had started a relationship in 2007, but ended it in February last year.

“She explained the reasons but said he was very upset and left abruptly,” said Mark Hughes, prosecuting.

“Since then for over a year he has continued to email, text and call her as well as sending flowers and cards.”

“He also gave her the impression he had been to her new address in Leicester by telling her the make and model of her new partner’s car.”

The court heard that between 25th January and 4th February alone, Cope called his former partner 133 times.

In mitigation, the court heard that initially Cope was trying to get his former partner back. But after a warning from police he accepted that would not happen and continued to try and contact her to end things in a positive way.

He is now in a new relationship and is seeking help through counselling.

Sentencing Cope, the district judge said he had embarked on a pattern of ‘predatory and disturbing behaviour’.

He said the Government had recently created the charge of stalking to deal with cases such as this.

Cope was given a 12 month community order with 150 hours’ unpaid work. A restraining order was also made preventing him from contacting his former partner for three years.