DCSIMG

Choir boys parade into St Anne’s

Choir boys at the consecration of St Anne's Church, Worksop, in 1912.

Choir boys at the consecration of St Anne's Church, Worksop, in 1912.

This week’s picture shows choir boys parading into St Anne’s Church, Worksop, at its consecration on 24th November 1912.

The church, on Newcastle Avenue, has just marked its centenary year with a series of celebrations.

The Worksop Guardian reported on the consecration by the Lord Bishop of Southwell.

The paper said the service was held “in the presence of a congregation that filled the church to overflowing and which was representative of the public and social life of the town and district”.

It went on: “For considerable time past Worksop people have watched the progress made by the builders with unabated interest.”

“A noteworthy addition has been made to the churches in Notts and Sir John Robinson’s gift has made possible what the increasing population had rendered desirable - the creation of a new parish.”

St Anne’s had originally been an off-shoot of the Priory Church and began life in a mission hut on Castle Hill, a densely populated area in the early 1900s.

It’s benefactor Sir John Robinson lived at Worksop Manor.

The first vicar was the Rev Hamish Gray, while the current, and eighth vicar, is the Rev Simon Cash.

On 24th November 2012 there was a centenary service in St Anne’s, which the Bishop of Sherwood attended.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page