Community leaders have welcomed the news that Nottinghamshire Police chiefs have reversed a decision to not stop traffic in Carlton-in-Lindrick during the two minutes’ silence on Remembrance Sunday.
Fury was sparked last month after the force said officers would not be attending or halting vehicles at his year’s service, with Councillor Barry Bowles branding the announcement “absolutely appalling” and a “complete disregard for tradition and reverence”.
For the last 27 years, Nottinghamshire Police have been assisting with the event, which sees hundreds of adults and children, as well as parish councillors gather at the war memorial at the junction of Church Lane and the A60 to pay their respects.
Although police said they “no longer had the authority” to stop traffic, it has been revealed officers will now be attending to assist with road closures put in place by Bassetlaw District Council.
A Nottinghamshire Police spokesman said: “The local authority has put road closure orders in place and we will be assisting in ensuring the road closures are put in place safely and to minimise disruption.
“We understand the significance of this occasion and have worked with the local authority to help facilitate Remembrance Day parades and events.”
John Mann, MP for Bassetlaw, said: “I wrote to Paddy Tipping, Nottinghamshire police and crime commissioner, and stressed it was essential that the decision was reversed and I am pleased that he has listened.
“I am glad the people of Carlton-in-Lindrick can now honour our veterans safely and respectfully.”
Coun Bowles said: “Although I am extremely pleased that the decision has been reversed, I would like to know why the police have been operating illegally since 2004 which is the year they apparently lost the power to stop traffic.
“ I also want to know if this will happen again next year.
“Two minutes of silence is a small price to pay when you consider just how many people lost their lives.”