THIS week’s Archive Corner picture shows the staff of Worksop College in 1906.
The headmaster at that time was Rev R M Grier MA.
Worksop College, situated not far from Clumber Park, was a Church of England public school established by the Woodard Foundation and opened officially by Nathaniel Woodard himself in September 1895.
Mr Woodard was a priest who founded 11 schools for the middle classes.
Their aim was to provide education based on sound principle and sound knowledge, firmly grounded in the Christian faith.
Construction began in 1890 on what was originally called St Cuthbert’s College, renamed Worksop College in the 1930s.
The land and tree-lined avenue were donated by the Duke of Portland.
A chapel, named after St Cuthbert, was also built with funds donated by Lord Mountgarret. It was opened by Lady Mountgarret in 1906, the same year this picture was taken.
The staff seen here are all men and are all wearing formal teaching robes.
It would be interesting why there is a dog in the picture with them. Could it have been the school pet?
Famous old Worksopians include Christopher Awdry, who wrote the Thomas the Tank Engine books and Judge James Pickles.