COMMUNITY: Whitwell - Local History Group

editorial image

An illustrated talk by John Taylor on “Sutton Scarsdale - A Classical Wonder” caused members of the group to lament that such a wonderful building had been allowed to become a gaunt shell of its former glory. The present house was re-designed in 1724 by Francis Smith of Warwick incorporating the 15th century remains. Today, the gaunt, roofless shell of the house stands on the hillside overlooking the M1. Mr. Taylor showed a picture of the original ground plan showing many rooms, one leading into another. The wonderful carved wooden staircase is no longer there as it, and other parts of the interior, were dismantled and carried off to America in the 1930’s. St. Mary’s Church, which now stands beside the Hall was, when it was built in the 14th century, connected to the Hall. On March 29, Harold Street will show “how he made Joan’s vase.”